Feb 16, 2013

Guest Editorial


I asked for people to volunteer to write about art so here is our first article by Julia Stanton. She is an artist with a degree in psychology. I asked her to write about artists and why they find it hard to compliment one another because this is something we have all experienced. 

Giving Compliments
by
Julia Stanton

As an artist and psychologist I have always been keenly aware of how other artists treat me. I have participated in many shows where lots of artists had booths and it was always fascinating to People Watch" or rather "Artist Watch." Being a psychologist I have found it interesting how they socialize.
I have seen some that are eager to give a compliment to another artist and then there are some that would not give a compliment to another artist if their very lives depended on it.


I have come up with the following conclusions as to why some people especially friends can't give another a compliment:

*They are Jealous and envious of your work and achievements.
*They are afraid that if they compliment your work it will give them psychological power over you.
*They think if they compliment you it somehow takes away from their art.
*They are actually depressed and cannot see anything good!
*They are so self absorbed that they are unable to recognize the positive in others.
*They are very insecure.
*They feel a lack of resources within themselves.
*They believe you are a threat to them and their success.

*They are selfish and perpetually live in and operate from their insecurities. 
*They think it makes them look weak and less of an artist to compliment on others work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Those are some very sad reasons but I am sure that I am on the right track.
I love to support others work, I have no trouble doing it and maybe that is because I am secure in my life and my art.
Friends are supposed to be there for you, it would be nice if artist friends were supportive and were eager to compliment each others efforts. 

If you are a person who has trouble giving a compliment look at the list above and see if something fits. If so try to look at why you feel this way and practice giving compliments to others. 


Genuine praise is a gift you generously give to one another and it is worth far more than the effort it      takes to give it and it does not cost you a thing. 




3 comments:

Christy Hartman said...

I think you are right on in your assessment. Very interesting article. Nice job.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you...I have had this happen and it is very hurtful! You article has helped me understand this problem.

Anonymous said...



Thank you for this article, I am an artist and have had my feelings hurt so many times by other artists who cannot say one nice thing about my art, this explains why!

New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!