Aug 5, 2012

My Christian View on being Creative

by
Sharon Teal Coray

Copyright Sharon Teal Coray 2012


Being a Christian and an artist has made me stop and think about some things lately and would like to share them with you. For instance, the bible tells us that God wants us to find happiness and joy in our lives and sometimes that takes real “creativity” to do. I am totally aware that creativity is not limited to painting a picture. Simply giving support to our loved ones in need is a creative endeavor. However, I sometimes fall into my daily boring routine and forget to see the world from a fresh point of view. In the reality of this I think that creativity is our personal response to the continually changing world that we live in. It is a gift that God has given us and it was meant to be used.

To be creative we must adjust to life’s experiences no matter if they are good or bad and we must learn from them. Looking at our life we must see it as a whole work of art with each action we take a stroke in our masterpiece.

Often II feel stuck, and I watch others strike out on new paths working to develop their gifts while I sit here with no energy to do something about it! I really want to build more creativity into my life and regain the productive energy I once felt but where do I start?

Reading Genesis has given me an abundance of insight into how the creative process can be applied to my own life.
Genesis tells us that God created the universe from nothing and on the seventh day he rested. But reading on we read that God did not end on the sixth day but the development of creation is still going on all around us and within us. So we are part of that amazing creative process.

Have you ever sat and watched small children playing? They can play and run for hours, they can sit on the beach and make sandcastles, they can use color books and clay to create freely. They have so much energy that we as adults have often lost contact with.

The feelings of monotony and tedium that invades us happens when we fail to pay attention to the creation that is all around us and always changing. Our daily ho hum lives just get in the way, there are so many distractions now with all the electronic equipment that it is really amazing that anyone gets anything done ever!

All we need to do is to simply open ourselves up to that feeling we had as children because it is still with us, even as we grow older!
Only God can create something out of nothing, but we must stay in touch with the everlasting creative progression that is going on in our universe. By doing this we will have an intimate relationship with our Heavenly Creator.

When I am struggling to find what I want to paint I often spend hours looking at all of my reference material. Nothing comes to me…
When I step back and get rid of my anxiety and fears of failure so God can guide my creative powers things just go so much more smoothly. But being human I forget…and have to remind myself to get out of the way!

Sitting on my patio this morning I thought that our creativity lies in our willingness to wait and be patient. We need to listen and look at all of the splendor of God’s work unfold right in front of us every second of our lives. No matter how many times I sit on my patio I always hear and see new sights and sounds surrounding me. By simply pausing to examine what is right in front of me, all the complex and ever-renewing patterns of our world I can break out of my boring schedule by just simply realizing how wonderful each moment of our life can be.

The beautiful creations in my own back yard that God has created bring me such a feeling of happiness and goodness. They make me want to be creative and things start to form in my mind on what I will paint next.
So next time your are having a boring day step aside and let God lead the way, you may find like I have that He always has a better plan than I do!


1. In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
2.The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
3.And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.






No comments:

New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!