Apr 4, 2012

Portraits of my Family

By Sharon Teal Coray

Long before we had cameras the rich and powerful families had their family portraits painted. As time passed it became more common for middle-class patrons to commission portraits of their families and colleagues. Today, the portrait painting is still commissioned by governments, corporations, groups, clubs, and individuals. Even though we have the best cameras in history it is fun to paint one’s family.


The inner essence of the subject is revealed in a well-executed portrait, not just a literal likeness. Most of the time the portrait is painted with a slight smile or a serious look. Not often do you see them painted with a full smile showing teeth.

I find that I need to keep the mouth rather neutral while capturing the facial expression with the eyes and eyebrows. The eyes are where we always look first. They can show infinite variations of many emotions like contentment, merriment, wistfulness to pain

One can paint a portrait full length, head and shoulders only, half-length, or the head can be in profile, a three-quarter view or full face.

I paint from photographs I have taken, so I have complete control of the lighting and the pose. I take numerous photos t get just the right one.
I find this to be easier that have the person sit for me as time if always an issue.

I  painted my daughter when she was 16 and now I finished my Granddaughter at the same age.


Daughter


Granddaughter




This was my Son when he was in the Mountain Man mode.

Here are some portraits I have painted for Galleries and commisioned work.












 

New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!