Jan 22, 2012

Where did my creativity come from?






Painting in my quiet studio today I started thinking about my creativity. Where did it come from, why do I love to paint instead of playing the piano or sewing or cooking?


When I was teaching I discovered that some of my students had a natural ability and things just came easier for them than others who struggled to learn to paint.

I always believed that it was a gift given to me from God, wanting to find proof of this in the bible I stated to research it. Is it possible that God gave us all a special gifts? Is that why some of us can be so good at one thing while others have to really work at it or can't do it at all? Let me share what I have found from Gods word.

One of the first recorded creative acts of man that God granted was for Adam to name all the animals. When he placed Adam and Eve in the garden he instructed them to do work which involved planning and decision making which are parts of the creative process.

Looking farther I found in Exodus 31:1-6

“Then the LORD said to Moses,  “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah,  and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze,  to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts.  Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you.”

So God gave the ability to these men to do the job he wanted them to do. In Genesis we see the beginning of music: Genesis 4:21 that “Jubal … was the father of all who play the harp and flute.” Also in Genesis there was the beginning of the forging of tools and building of cities the beginnings of human culture. This is when a man began use the creative gifts that God had given him to fulfill his task of ruling over creation into practice.

So it is not just something I believe but it is in the bible, God, the creator, is the source of all creativity. Creating man in his own image, he gave man gifts of creativity also. Wow that is some gift!

The “chosen’ reference in Exodus 31:1-6 makes my heart sing, I was chosen to do what I am doing and so were you! If you are good at writing or can play instrument, create things with your hands, grow flowers, sew or whatever and it comes easy to you then I think it is a good bet that these are your gifts God chose for you!

God the chooses which gifts to give to whom! He giver of all gifts!
So now we can understand why some people are good at music, and some at art, and some are great a basketball! God did not create everyone the same. Your special gift is exactly the creative gift He chose for you to have. It is are part of who you are!

So many times I have heard friends say they wish they had my creative ability, but then I look at what they do, They have gifts that are best suited for them that I could never do! God chooses to whom he gives gifts, and so we should not denigrate our own gifts from God, nor should we envy the gifts of others. We just need to trust that God’s wisdom gave us what we could do the best.

As I sit her writing this I am ever amazed how God works, I need to remember that I never should criticize my gifts. I should be ever thankful for them with a spirit of humbleness. I should never boast about them. I need to remember that if He has given them to me and that he doesn’t want me to hide them.

My thanks to God for these gifts are hard work to develop these gifts to the best of my ability and then use them in loving service others and bring glory to God in all areas of life.

James 1:17 says, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father.”

Sharon Teal Coray  






New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!