Nov 2, 2011

Trusting Yourself








Trusting Yourself





By Sue Hulen

Have you ever heard a little voice telling you “No you can’t.”? Or maybe it was saying “You know you’re not good enough to do that.” It’s that nagging negative self-doubt that keeps us from trusting ourselves. It seems to rear it’s ugly head at some of the worst times.
I’ve always had a problem with trusting myself. Trying something new wasn’t always easy for me because I didn’t trust myself to do it good enough or do it right. My own distrust of “self” has kept me from doing many wonderful things. There has been things I’d love to try (like flower arranging), but my self-doubt has kept me from even making the attempt. Being a bit of a perfectionist doesn’t help.
There have been times that I’ve not listened to my distrust of myself and just jumped into new territories. I’d always thought I couldn’t paint. I’d think “I can’t paint. I wasn’t born with the talent or the creative mind that it takes to be an artist.” Always loving art I thought “Why not give it a try?” And so I did. I looked the tiger in the eye and not only tamed the tiger, but won the battle by trusting in myself. There’s much for me to learn about painting, but I’m getting there and I’m loving all the mistakes and all of the accomplishments along the way.
If we could just trust ourselves and have faith in ourselves there’s no limit to what we can accomplish. Trust that you will make the right choice. Trust that you can accomplish whatever it is you’ve set out to do. It may not perfect for a while, but you’re giving it your best shot.
Trusting in self will take you places you never thought you’d go. It will give you courage to do other things that you may have shied away from in the past. It can place you on a path to something/s that you never even considered before. If we can’t trust ourselves, who can we trust?
So, when that little voice tells you that you can’t do something, you just replace that negative self-talk with something positive like “Oh, yes I certainly can.” The only thing holding us back is ourselves. We can fight ourselves or we can be free of self-doubt and soar.
Think of something that you’ve not made an attempt at doing, because you’ve held yourself back, and just do it. Just do it. See what happens and see if you can tame that tiger of self-doubt. Love yourself enough to trust in yourself. I think you’re worth it.
Have a wonderful week and enjoy the beautiful palette of colors that nature has given us this time of year. It’s just gorgeous.







Give yourself permission to trust in yourself!







New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!