Nov 8, 2011

Meet the Eckman's

A friend sent me a video of some wonderful artwork to look at because she knew I would love it, and I did! The work looked like some I had seen in a gallery I was in a few years ago in Sedona AZ. I contacted Patty one of the artists and asked her if she was in the Gallery and sure enough it was her and her husbands work. She gave me permission to write about her and her husband.
When I first saw the work in person I could not get my mind around how someone could create it, it was so elegant and simple। When I was told it was made out of paper that is where I just had to stop short and take another look at it। It was just wonderful! The gallery was the Golden Gecko, and it was in a very exclusive area of Sedona. As I reflect on it, I feel so very blessed to have been part of a gallery that had such great art in it. It was truly one of my many blessings I have had.So now I would like to share with you some of this gorgeous work.Patty and Allen Eckman met and married while attending college. They both were taking art classes and had a passion for it.After raising three children and working in a small advertising company they decided to set out on their own and whole new career path. This opened up a new and exciting adventure for both of them.What they do is called cast paper sculpture; it has been around since the 1950’s. Don’t confuse it with papier-mâché’. The two mediums are completely different.The Eckmans are the inventors of this process. Eckman Method® of Cast Paper Sculpture is a proprietary trademark. Since 1988, Patty and Allen have developed and perfected the medium of cast paper far beyond any other artists in the world. Their work is considered by many critics to be the premier of the industry. Since the paper is acid-free, the sculptures are all museum quality. “We have really enjoyed the development of our fine art techniques over the years, and have created a process that is worth sharing, said Allen Eckman. “We believe there are many artists and sculptors who will enjoy this medium as much as we have.”Allens interest lies in the American Indian's materials, physical and spiritual culture.“From the western expansion, through the Civil War and beyond is of great interest to me.” Eckman has expanded his work through all these subjects and time periods. In harmonious contrast, Patty has a great interest in wildlife, birds and flowers in particular. “Ever since I was a child I have had a great appreciation of wildlife, said Patty. “I can sit for hours and watch the birds come to my feeder. When I look at a flower I don’t see just color, I see form and grace. Wonderful shapes that the color tries to overpower.” Patty also has a deep interest in the Native American culture, and since the year 2000 has been sculpting beautiful Indian women and children. On large complicated and detailed works the couple often works together, both signing the piece when completed.
Allen and Patty Eckman now offer educational services, including: conducting classes in workshops; DVD and other course materials in the field of creating cast paper sculptured art, and distributing course materials.
Sit back and relax and look at this beautiful art!































To see more art and read about these artists go to:



No comments:

New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!