Aug 28, 2011

I could never do what you do I don’t have a creative bone in my body!





I heard it again….the phrase that I have heard so many times in my life. This time it was my sister and cousin saying it. The phrase is: I could never do what you do I don’t have a creative bone in my body!


Why do so many people believe this? I heard it when new students came to my art academy. I hear it from people who buy my art. This goes against what I believe, and that is being creative is an intrinsically a human trait. Do you work in the garden, do you sew, do you cook….it does not make any difference if you hold a brush a rake or a spoon, you are creative. I really think when someone says they are not creative it is because they just have never tried it!

Maybe these uncreative people should know how it feels to create something. They need to know what being creative can do for you, so I am going to explain here how it makes me feel.
First I want to make it clear that my creative urge has always been with me, and it has not come real easy to get where I am today. I have spent many grueling hours and years of my life studying art and fine tuning my art.

Giving life to an original idea is pure joy for me. Sharing it with others is an added benefit; it is one of the most rewarding feelings ever!

I am not saying you have to paint to be creative; creativity takes on so many forms. Art is what you make of it so don’t be inhibited by that notion. But, what I am saying is that painting is a wonderful creative outlet! If there is the tiniest little voice inside of you saying that you would like to paint then by all means keep reading………
My life has been filled with so many wonderful opportunities in the arts field. It has opened so many new experiences in my life. I have found that the more I paint and study painting the less I feel I really know, I never feel I have reached a certain level where I can just paint the same thing over and over. I am inspired and motivated because I have a sense that there is still so much to learn! Painting has become a lifelong challenge for me.

Not only have I had many great opportunities I have met so many wonderful people who share my love of painting. Being able to share thoughts and ideas with others can be very inspiring.
I think that there really is no way to describe the feeling of the freedom I feel when I am at my easel. I can literally lose track of time, it just seems to stand still. One minute I look at the clock and it is 10 am then it is 5 pm!

I have the freedom to paint whatever I want to paint, with any medium or colors I choose to use! If I like what I have painted then I am happy, I often just paint to be painting. I don’t have to always turn it into money, it is always more enjoyable to create art for essential reasons than extrinsic!
Spending hours alone involved in my creative projects I find any anxiety or stress I am experiencing disappears being replaced by a feeling of utter calm and relaxation. Having an experience like this is really indescribable. You just have to find out how it feels for yourself.
Creating for me is not just something I do because I want to… it is something I need to do! I love the way it makes me feel, happier, I feel at ease with my whole life. The calmness that comes over me helps lower my blood pressure and relaxes my muscles.
Painting for me is like breathing I need to breathe… I need to paint!

I paint because I want to share my art with others! I love to see it when someone enjoys what I have painted.
I paint because I truly love to teach others how to do what I do.
I paint because it is part of who I am and I want to leave something for future generations to say I was here!
Now that you have stuck with reading this I would wager a bet that you would like to give it a try!

Go ahead you can do it!
 
Sharon Teal-Coray

No comments:

New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!