May 31, 2009

Painting several works of art around a single theme or idea.





If you are striving to get in a gallery you need to know that gallery owners are much more receptive to representing an artist with ten related works, rather than artist with fifty pieces in all different mediums, styles, and subject matter.
Have you ever thought of creating a series of something?

Here is how you should proceed

Find you subject or your theme. This can be anything, landscapes, still-life, emotions, but most important choose something that you really are interested in and like! You need to feel inspiration for the subject. Search until you find something that is personal or things that you are emotionally involved with. This will make your art more interesting and desirable.
In order to paint something you need to know all there is about that subject, so do some real research. Get to know it inside to out! Your knowledge will be evident in your finished paintings.

I love to gather up all the reference materials I can get my hands on. Get photos, make sketches jot down notes anything that will help you understand your subject matter.
One of my favorite things to do is go on a photo journey. I pack my car with my camera some water and snacks and head out for a day of adventure just seeking the elusive photos that will make for a great painting!
My motto is to get more reference than I could ever use; later on while I am painting I am very happy I did.
It is best if you do not use the internet for photos and take your own. Most of the photos on the internet are copyrighted. Plus you want to have the photos your own vision.
You won’t want to use images straight from the internet for this either. It’s always best to create your own reference material by staging or finding the scenes that perfectly match your vision.
There are times that I will combined two or three photographs to make a great composition. Always take time to look at every option available to make sure your final compositions are as good as they can be.

Now you have your references and you need to figure out how much time you can dedicate to your series of paintings. I try to set a deadline….giving me a little extra time for things that pop up that I have not planned for.
The last step is that I actually pick out the canvas’ and write on the back of them which painting I am going to do on each one.
I will then sketch on my pattern and using a wash of acrylics fill in the objects in the painting. I will work on 2-3 paintings at a time, this seems to keep my juices flowing.
If I get bored with one I will pick up another one and work on it for a while. This really keeps my motivation going.

Monet painted many subjects again and again, but every one of his series paintings is different, whether it's a painting of a water lily or a hay stack. As Monet's paintings are scattered in collections around the world, it's usually only in special exhibitions that his series paintings are seen as a group. Fortunately the Art Institute in Chicago has several of Monet's haystacks paintings in its collection, as they make impressive viewing together.

New Free Pattern Blog

New Free Pattern Blog
Sharon Teal Coray has a new blog offering free patterns! Updated often! Check it out!